5 Ways to Motivate Yourself to a Healthier Diet
October 10, 2017
It can be difficult to take that first step towards a healthier diet. Your mind automatically thinks days, sometimes even weeks in the future, when you will reach your goal, making the effort seem all the more daunting and unreachable. Before you lose your nerve, we’ve rounded up five ways to help motivate you to eat well and reach your goals.
1. Ask yourself why.Before you make any changes to your diet, it’s important to ask yourself why and to write it down. Add a motivational quote that inspires you. Keep that note handy. If you find you’re struggling with your goal, or even just need a mental boost, you can revisit it when necessary.
2. Start small.Instead of racing to the finish line, set small achievable goals that add up to a larger goal that you can reach. Allowing yourself to be comfortable with your pace will make it more likely for you to enjoy the stages of your success.
3. Remember how you feel.If you’ve gone down this road before, think back to a time when you had healthier eating habits. Did you have more energy? Sleep better? Dig a little deeper. How did your body feel? Did you feel stronger? Think about your emotional wellbeing. Were you happier? Calmer? Make a list of what stands out to you in these memories and use them as motivation. Don’t have a list? It’s ok. You can look forward to making one.
4. Reward yourself.Set milestones on your way to reaching your goals, and, when you reach them, reward yourself. The pleasure you receive from your reward of choice can be an extremely powerful motivational tool. Your brain will associate hard work with an external reward, and over time the external reward becomes internal gratification.
5. Find a partner.From time to time we all need a little help from a friend. Ask a friend or family member to join you on your healthy eating journey, and you have a built-in support system. Your partner can help keep you motivated if you’re having an off day. And the motivation you can provide to a partner will inspire you to keep going as well. Enjoy the journey!